Plant Centre Assistant Manager
We are looking for an Assistant Manager to join our family-owned independent garden centre here in Sussex. Assisting and supporting the Garden Centre Manager in its day-to-day running, the ideal candidate will have previously worked in a garden centre or similar retail environment and have experience managing and motivating a team, have excellent customer service skills and be well organised with a keen eye for detail. This is a very varied and hands-on role requiring a high level of physical fitness.
- Work with the Manager and Directors to ensure the success and growth of the business
- Lead by example and cover all roles during staff absence
- Assist in the smooth running of the centre providing our customers with an inspirational shopping experience
- Work with the Manager to ensure that the Centre is always adequately staffed, using competent and knowledgeable staff, building a strong productive and customer service focused team
- Work in conjunction with the Manager in order to achieve maximum sales and profits.
- Ensure that high standards are maintained throughout the Centre, especially relating to Customer Service, Presentation & Display, Range of Products, Stock Control, Cleanliness and Health & Safety.
- Learn and understand all product ranges in all departments
- Maintain high quality and condition of all plants and products either bought in or produced in-house.
- Ensure the Centre is fully replenished, clean and tidy at all times
- A flexible approach to working hours within the Working Time Regulations, working longer hours during peak seasons and covering emergency sick leave where possible.
- Carry out any other tasks within your ability as requested by the Manager or Directors
- Previous Retail experience at managerial level essential
- Excellent customer services skills including a professional telephone manner essential
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and EPOS systems
- Punctual and reliable, ensuring a good attendance record.
- A flexible approach to working hours and a consistently keen attitude towards work.
- Honest, trustworthy, friendly and polite, with an ability to work independently and using own initiative whilst also being an excellent team player.
- Conscientious, self-motivated, confident, versatile, enthusiastic, adaptable and creative
- Excellent organisational skills with a positive, flexible and committed hands-on attitude.
- A good level of physical fitness is essential as lifting will be required to carry out this role effectively.
- Efficient, energetic, highly flexible, positive, committed and capable of working under pressure.
An average of 40 hours + over a two week period. Alternate weekend working required with one day off each week.
How to Apply:
If you would like any further information or wish to apply, please email your CV with a cover letter to email@example.com. Alternatively you can pop into the centre to pick up an application form