Trees and shrubs
Whoever says that trees and shrubs only belong in large gardens, has it wrong. Every garden should have a tree. Threes and shrubs are very versatile, they're not only beautiful, but they also cast soothing shade, provide valuable privacy and often give you flowers, fruit and spectacular autumn leaf colours, too. At our plant centre in Poynings, Sussex, we offer a large range of small trees, fruit trees, shrubs and conifers. Visit our garden centre and check our fantastic range.
Tips for choosing a tree or shrub for your garden
Before you buy a tree or shrub at our garden centre, it’s important to do some research beforehand. The size of a mature tree or shrub can be very large, and the last thing you want is to get rid of a tree that is eventually too big for your space. Here are some tips on choosing the right tree or shrub for your garden:
- Make sure the tree or shrub is suitable for your zone and climate. Some conifers are very cold and hardy but won't survive in any climate.
- Check both the growth rate and the size of a tree at maturity. Some trees or shrubs grow slowly and take longer to reach maturity size. Other trees or shrubs grow fast and need much pruning to stay in shape.
- Besides the mature height, the width of a tree or shrub is also important. Some trees or shrubs grow wider than they do in height.
- Choose a tree or shrub that complements the rest of your garden. Check the foliage and texture of the variety. We have types available, from silvery to gold.
Patio fruit trees
If you’re looking for a small fruit tree on your patio, we have the right tree for you. Fruit trees can be planted directly in the ground, but some species can thrive best in pots, too. Our patio fruit trees are specially crafted to control their growth but not their fruit production. These trees will stay low but will surprise you with lovely fruit to harvest. Patio fruit trees will eventually grow up to a height of 1.5-2 metres. We even offer self-fertile varieties that don’t need to be pollinated. This is ideal for small home gardens or patios. Here are our self-pollinating fruit trees:
Small trees for pots
In small gardens, trees with year-round interest, like the autumn-flowering cherry (Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis'), will do best. Choose wisely when you pick small trees for pots. Not all trees are suitable to grow in pots. Some trees need much space to create a strong root system. We give you an example of which trees are suitable to grow in pots, on a balcony, roof terrace, or small patio, too.
- Apple (Malus domestica)
- Olive (Olea europaea)
- Italian Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
- Japanese maple (Acer palmatum)
- Starry magnolia (Magnolia stellataa)
Shrubs for your garden
Shrubs provide a framework for your garden: evergreen shrubs, in particular, are a constant backdrop to other plants, giving weight and depth to your design. Shrubs come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Shrubs give your garden interest, even when the rest of your plants are in dormancy. Add a splash of warm colour to your garden with our lovely shrubs. Extend the season with winter-flowering witch hazels or Christmas boxes, and add explosions of summer flowers with roses, hydrangeas or flowering quince.
Buy trees and shrubs at Rushfields
Please ask a member of the team at Rushfields for more information and advice about choosing and growing trees and shrubs. Growing trees and shrubs is big fun, no matter how big your garden is. We look forward to showing you around our tree and shrub section in the outside area. You’ll be amazed by the large assortment.