Annuals for picking
One of the greatest luxuries of gardening is collecting armfuls of cheerful flowers. You can put these in vases to fill your house with lovely colours and scents. You do not have to look far for the perfect flowers to exhibit at home; some of the best flowers for picking are easy-going annuals. We have selected some annuals that are available in our garden centre and that will certainly not disappoint you.
ANNUAL FLOWERS THAT ARE GREAT FOR PICKING
Annuals are great for picking. Creating an annual meadow in your garden is therefore a good way to get started. Once your flowers are blossoming, you can start picking a couple of flowers that are worthy of keeping. Which flowers can really not be wanting in your freshly picked bouquet?
- Bupleurum: these lime-green flowers contrast perfectly with brighter colours;
- Snapdragons (Antirrhinum): these pretty cottage-garden flowers have generous blooms;
- Sweetpeas (Lathyrus odoratus): these flowers come in different types. Choose Spencer types for scent and Grandifloras for big, blowsy flowers;
- Love-in-a-mist (Nigella): these exquisite starry blue or white flowers turn into architectural seedheads once their flowering time is over;
- Tobacco plant (Nicotiana): these tall and airy flowers are available in colours from white and pink to lime green;
HOW TO START PICKING FLOWERS
Now that you know which flowers to plant in your garden, it is time to go picking. How do you get to work? First of all, it is important to pick your annuals as early as possible in the day. Make sure to always check the plants before picking them. There could be pests or diseases afflicting the plant that you do not want inside of your house. Of course you do not want them to affect your outside plants either, so it is best to check immediately what biological pesticides you should use to tackle these pests. Secondly, use a sharp cutting tool and dip them in disinfectant to minimise the harm and to prevent the spread of diseases. And last but not least, take your picked flowers inside as soon as possible and ensure that their temperature does not go above 15 degrees Celsius. Did you pick your flowers on a hot day? Put the stems in cold water or put them in the fridge for a short amount of time.
FIND BEAUTIFUL ANNUALS FOR PICKING IN OUR GARDEN CENTRE
Maybe you do not have enough annuals for picking in your garden. You want to create an annual meadow or nice flower bed, but cannot find the right seedlings to sow. Come and visit our garden centre in Poynings for a wide variety of annuals for picking and ask our staff for more information.