The holiday season is upon us and it's time for you to start thinking about your Christmas lights. There are many factors that go into choosing the perfect light set up for your home, from the weather to how many bulbs you need to string up. You may not know how to choose the best type of lights or where to place them, but Rushfields will help you out! Read on for tips and tricks on Christmas lighting, or visit our garden centre in Poynings so you can get your home lit up in no time.
Types of Christmas Lights
There are a ton of Christmas lights out there, and choosing the right ones for your home is important, but knowing the types of Christmas lights is also very important! Here are the different types of Christmas lights you will need to get the best out of them.
- LED Lights: LED Christmas lights are the cheapest type, and they are perfect for indoors or outside of your home. These lights are commonly available in strands of 50, 100, 200, or 400 lights. They work the same way as incandescent Christmas lights, but with much more efficiency. LEDs don't require a lot of electricity and can last for years. This type of Christmas light can be found in stores all over the internet, and even some large department stores. These lights are a great way to spend your Christmas money.
- Flick-On Christmas Lights: These lights come in a roll and you simply cut off the lengths of the light and apply them to your string. They're quite easy to install.
- Faux Snow: These lights are pre-lit fake icicles that look good outside, on door frames, or in trees. These lights can also double as decorations for inside your home.
- Abo LED Lights: This light is battery operated. It allows you to change the colour of the lights and even choose a certain amount of brightness you want them to be.
How Many Christmas Lights Do I Need?
When deciding how many Christmas lights you need for your home, there are some factors you need to keep in mind. The number of bulbs you need is a big factor as well as where to place them. A tree is typically supported by ten rows of lights. When shopping for lights, be sure to stick to the largest amount of lights that will actually illuminate the tree. To know how many lights you need for your Christmas tree, look for a maximum amount of lights per branch. A typical Christmas tree is most bright when ten strands of lights are connected on the tree and one strand on the branch.
Where to Place Your Christmas Lights
Before you even start searching for Christmas lights, you should know where to place them. According to Good Housekeeping, make sure you keep your lights away from heaters, glass windows, heating vents, and any other electronics. If possible, put your lights on a stand that is at least 5 feet tall, so you don't have to worry about getting them underfoot. You can also install lights around the roofline of your home to fill it with colour. You can use a small spotlight to illuminate a tall tree or reindeer. This can help you keep your lights out of sight, making it easier for your neighbours to walk around them. You can also do something like a “Santa's Village” display to add a little Christmas cheer to your house.
Putting up Your Lights
Once you've purchased your lights, it's time to set them up! There are many options when it comes to the best way to set up your lights and which size you should purchase. The number of lights that you use to illuminate your home depends on how you're setting up your lights. You can take your time when placing your lights, or you can get a jump start on things by stringing lights on your porch.
- Setting up a Christmas tree is a good time to hang your lights too, so make sure you put that up before you put up your lights, and then, if you'd like, set up your lights around the base of the tree to light it up for a festive look.
- If you'd like to string up your lights in an organized fashion, you can do this with the help of pre-cut bulbs to save a ton of time and effort on your end.
Buy Christmas Lights Online
Rushfields Plant Centre is your place to be when it comes to Christmas Lighting. While our selection isn't massive, it's probably one of the most versatile and well-stocked outlets for Christmas Lights in the Poynings area. We carry a wide range of decorations and lights for both indoor and outdoor use, so you'll have no problem finding just what you need. Visit our Christmas centre in Poynings, Sussex and get into the Christmas mood.