Trees for year-round colour
If you are privileged to have a large garden, you want your garden to look perfect all year long. At Rushfields, we sell trees for year-round colour. Evergreen trees and shrubs give your garden a natural look, also in autumn and winter. Check out our wide range of trees, and shrubs and chose your favourite. Our assortment is versatile, surprising, and colourful. Discover the many varieties available in our Plant Centre in Poynings. Our staff is always happy to help you find the perfect tree. Visit our garden centre near Brighton and find yourself wonderful trees that fill your garden with lovely colours all year-round.
Small trees for year-round colour
In smaller gardens, every plant has to earn its keep, and that's particularly true for trees. Luckily, no garden is too small for trees. Small trees give your garden structure, provide shade and make a valuable resource for wildlife. Rushfields has plenty of trees that look good in every season: here's our pick of the best from the range in our garden centre.
- Snowy mespilus (Amelanchier lamarckii): pearly white blossoms that open in spring. The coppery young foliage shines bright in the sun. The spring flowers are followed by little blackberries in summer and eventually shows a brilliant autumn colour. The fiery autumn leaf colour makes a lovely natural painting in the garden. Reaches about 10m tall.
- Willows (Salix spp): comes in many varieties, shapes, and sizes. At Rushfields, we sell beautiful Willows for small gardens to add structure to your front garden. Willows are perfect for the front yard, either the garden. Look for varieties with brilliantly coloured red, green or purple bark. Willows also have furry pussy willow buds in winter and deep green foliage. This versatile tree looks fantastic in every garden. Grows up to 10m, but you can prune the tree to the height you want.
- Hawthorn (Crataegus spp): warns you when spring turns into summer. The pale green leaves appear in spring, with an explosion of pretty pale-pink blossom in May. Bugs and birds are fond of this tree. The beautiful cascades of scented spring blossoms are followed by brilliant red berries in summer and a firework display of autumn colour. No worries about a pale garden with the Hawthorn tree. Every month of the year, this luminous tree shows different colours, shapes and leaves. Reaches any height between 5m to 8m tall, depending on species.
- Autumn-flowering cherry (Prunus x subhirtella): this winter wonder produces a welcome display of semi-double white flowers with a pink tinge. The pale pink flowers appear in little bursts from November throughout the winter, with leaves turning fiery orange in autumn. The white flowers are followed by small fruit that appears in summer and is popular with birds. This species remains small and grows up to 9m tall.
- Rowan (Sorbus spp): clusters of white flowers in spring (see below picture on the left) are followed by heavy crops of berries in red (picture on the right), white or yellow. Leaves turn brilliant shades in autumn. Reaches a height of 7m.
Please ask the staff in our garden centre in Poynings, Sussex for more information and advice about choosing trees for year-round colour.