Rushfields Plant Centre is a family owned and run independent plant centre, we are situated at the foot of the South Downs on the A281 Henfield Road at Poynings in Sussex.
- Donate a toy to the Bright FM Toy Appeal at Rushfields BrightFM Toy appeal
- Everything from Christmas Pudding to Panatone in our farm Shop Now Christmas pudding
- Order your Local Turkey and all your Christmas Meats From Our Farm shop Christmas meats
- Christmas Candles and Table Decorations Christmas Candles
- Standing Santa from £19-99 Standing Santa
- Puzzles and toys for all ages Puzzles and toys
Prevent wind rock
Trim tall shrubs and roses by a third to reduce the 'sail' effect, when strong winds catch the tops of shrubs and pull them about during winter storms. This tugs at the roots, weakening and damaging them and occasionally pulling over the whole plant.
Plant of the Week: Arbutus
This striking small tree’s common name says it all: the strawberry tree is an eyecatching sight when its clusters of huge, fat, scarlet fruit emerge brilliant lipstick-red against the handsome, glossy evergreen foliage looking for all the world like giant strawberries. It takes a year for the delicate froths of ivory-white, bell-like autumn flowers to develop the fruit – so often they’re both on the tree at the same time.
This is a fantastic choice for a smaller garden, making a spreading, shrubby tree to about 8m (24ft). It grows just about anywhere, including in coastal areas, and needs minimal pruning, just the odd snip to keep it in shape.